Wednesday, September 28, 2011

President Barak Obama




One of my favorite activities that I look forward to
every year at this time is the Back to School speech given by our president
Barak Obama.
His speech was set for today at 1:30.
We made our arrangements to hook up to the live feed.  We even invited another
class to join in our get together.
Regardless of your political beliefs or affiliation,
I believe that there should be a certain amount of respect for the office of the 
President of the United States.
I have had my first graders watch this speech for the past two years.
It never disappoints.  
He always gives a great pep talk and helps the students to realize
that they can "do it".  They can have a great year.
That is why I take the time to watch the broadcast.
It is important.

So, imagine my surprise when, in front of 54 six-year-olds and one fellow teacher,
I realized (with a pit in my stomach) that I had failed
to note the detail that the 1:30 speech had already taken place...
remember how Washington DC is on the East Coast??
Oh boy!
I felt sort of foolish.  However, the children had no idea
because I thought quickly and showed them the 
2010 Back to School Speech!!

(Silly me!)


So...
What did we learn?


•  Do your best.
•  Work hard
•  Treat others the way you want to be treated.
•  Do your homework
•  Be kind
•  Never give up
•  Listen to your teacher
•  Ask for help when you need it


...and much more.


Ask your child what he/she remembers.  I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
I was.
And, I was proud of the class for the way they took it seriously
and listened with real intent.


We will write about it tomorrow.  Perhaps I'll share some of the pages here.
I'm sure you will be surprised as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment