Friday, December 9, 2011

Oh What Fun It Is To READ!

This past Thursday was Amelia Earhart's anual Read-A-Thon!  This is NOT your regular old run of the mill read-a-thon.  Oh no!  It is an all out EVENT!  Each and every child in the school was (or should have  had) accompanied by an adult member of his/her family.  Once at the school, we all stood and sang the national anthem and said the Pledge of Allegiance followed by a short welcome announcement by Principal Cox.

Then, I had the wonderful opportunity to talk to the parents (you) about one of my favorite topics...Read Aloud!  I have some of the most amazing parents in my classroom and was probably "preaching to the choir" but I still went ahead and gave my testimonial about the importance of spending at least 10 wildly happy minutes with children during read aloud.    I gave everyone the 10 Commandments For Read Aloud which Mem Fox (amazing, amazing children's author and Read Aloud advocate) developed.  She is the woman I want to be when I grow up!
What a great sport our Provo mayor is!  We love him.  He even bought
a new pair of jammies just for our read-a-thon!

So, even though we had the State Superintendent of Schools for Utah, the Mayor of Provo, dignitaries from the state legislature, and district, and even had several of our Provo Police Force in attendance...our most important visitors were YOU, the parents.  Thank you to everyone who came.  Here are some absolutely adorable pictures from the day.  Enjoy!












1 comment:

  1. :D Jadon looks like he is crying. Noooo! I'm out numbered. Where's my brothers?????

    ReplyDelete